Monday, May 30, 2011

Open night at the observatory

Have you ever wondered what Saturn would look through a really big telescope? Yesterday I saw Saturn through the 1.3 m telescope at the Skinakas observatory. They had one of their Open Days, and for once the target was not the full Moon. Unfortunately the seeing was not so good (it was difficult to see the Cassini division), but it was a chance for me to see the true colors of Saturn. Through my own puny telescope the colors of Saturn are rather dull, but through the 1.3 m the globe had a distinct straw yellow color. This Voyager 2 image is close. 

 
Looking at Saturn through the 1.3 m telescope



I reprocessed my recent Saturn image to resemble the color I saw through the large telescope: 

Most amateur astronomers tend to process their Saturn images to have far more blue. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Jon,

    Thanks for posting this great image. I would be interested to know how you process your RBG images.

    Thanks,

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captured in K3CCDTools, use Virtualdub to delete frames where the planet is outside the field of view, crop with Castrator, align and stack in Registax6, mild sharpen in AstraImage (Lucy Richardson, diameter 1.3, 3 iterations), final tweaks in Photoshop (levels, curves, mild noise reduction, mild sharpening if necessary).

    ReplyDelete